Presenr Simpe / Present Continuous
You decide: Why is today different?
1. (smoke) I never ... cigarettes but ... today because ... 2. (wear) George never ... a tie, but ... a tie today because .... 3. (work) We never ... late in the office, but ... late today because ... .
4. (argue) Mario never ... with his brother, but ... with him today because ... . 5. (send) Mario never ... his girlfriend flowers, but he ... her flowers today because .... 6. (study) Elisabeth never ... , but she ... today because 7. (take) Mr and Mrs Smith never ... the subway, but they ... the subway today because ... . 8. (watch) Our teacher never ... TV, but she ... TV today because ... . 9. (write) My older brother never ... to our family, but he ... to us today because ... . 10. (get up) Janet never ... early, but she ... early today because . . . 11. (drink) Mr and Mrs Jones never ... champagne, but they ... champagne today because ... . 12. (go) Susan never ... to restaurants, but she ... to a restaurant today because ... .
Choose either the present simple or present progressive in the following sentences.
1. Something ... (smell) very good. 2. We ... (eat) dinner at seven o'clock to night.
3. He ... (practise) the piano every day. 4. They ... (drive) to school tomorrow.
5. I .. (believe) you.
6. Maria ... (have) a cold. 7. George ... (swim) right now. 8. John ... (hate) smoke.
9. Jill always ... (get) up at 6.00 a.m. 10. Jerry ... (mow) the lawn now.
Complete the sentences with the present simple or present progressive tense of the verbs in brackets. The adverbs in italics should be put in their correct position.
1. I (think) you already (know) my views on the matter. 2. I'm tired of working in an office. I (think) of changing my job. 3. I just (smell)your roses. They (not smell) wonderful? 4. I gradually (forget) all the physics I ever learnt at school- 5. You (see) that house over there? No, not there! You (not look) where my finger (point). 6. I (not hear) anything. You just (imagine) things. 7. The court (hear) this particular part of the evidence in private.
8. I just (taste) the cocktail to see if there's enough gin in it. How it (taste) to you?
9. I (think) my daughter (see) too much of that young ma n these days, and I (not approve) of it.
10. Don't take his remarks too seriously. He's so upset that I (not think) he really (know) what he (say). 11. The monument (stand) on a hill overlooking the town. 12. You (realize) that you (stand) on my toe? 13. The town (have) a population of 50,000.
Put the following into the passive voice.
1. You should open the wine about three hours before you use it. 2. Previous climbers had cut steps in the ice. 3. Somebody had cleaned my shoes and brushed my suit. 4. We use this room only on special occasions. 5. You must not hammer nails into the walls without permission. 6. In some districts farmers use pigs to find truffles. 7. Someone switched on a light and opened the door. 8. Somebody had slashed the picture with a knife. 9. They are pulling down the old theatre. 10. Why didn't they mend the roof before it fell in? 11. The mob broke all the shop windows in recent riots. 12. The librarian said that they were starting a new system because people were not returning books. 13. The police asked each of us about his movements on the night of the crime. 14. Someone will serve refreshments. 15. People must not leave bicycles in the hall. 16. Members may keep books for three weeks. After that they must return them. 17. The burglars had cut an enormous hole in the steel door. 18. I've bought a harp. They are delivering it this afternoon. (Do not change the first sentence.) 19. Someone has already told him to report for duty at six. 20. They rang the church bells as a flood warning. 21. No one can do anything unless someone gives us more information. 22. People are spending far more money on food now than they spent ten years ago. 23. The organisers will exhibit the paintings till the end of the month. 24. They will say nothing more about the matter if someone returns the stolen gun. 25. It is high time someone told him to stop behaving like a child. 26. A thief stole my dog and brought him back only when I offered £20 reward for him. 27. The judge gave him two weeks in which to pay the fine. 28. They make these artificial flowers of silk.
Put the following into the passive, mentioning the agent where necessary.
Where there is an indirect and a direct object, make the indirect object the subject of the passive verb.
They gave her a clock. She was given a clock.
The gerund after certain verbs is replaced in the passive by should be + past participle:
They advised employing part-time workers.
They advised that part-time workers should be employed.
1. They feed the seals at the zoo twice a day. 2. Who wrote it? 3. Compare clothes which we have washed with clothes which any other laundry has washed. 4. He expected us to offer him the job. 5. They showed her the easiest way to do it. 6. Lightning struck the old oak. 7. Titian couldn't have painted it as people didn't wear that style of dress till after his death. 8. A jellyfish stung her. 9. The author has written a special edition for children. 10. Judges used to carry sweet herbs as a protection against jail-fever. 11. What did he write it with?- He wrote it with a matchstick dipped in blood. 12. An uneasy silence succeeded the shot. 13. Did the idea interest you? 14. The lawyer gave him the details of his uncle's will. 15. Beavers make these dams. 16. They used to start these engines by hand. Now they start them by electricity. 17. Most people opposed this. 18. Students are doing a lot of the work. 19. The Prime Minister was to have opened the dry dock. 20. They recommended opening new factories in the depressed area. (Use should.) 21. The closure of the workshops will make a lot of men redundant. 22. Anyone with the smallest intelligence could understand these instructions. 23. We will not admit children under sixteen. 24. Boys of sixteen to eighteen are to man this training ship. 25. A rainstorm flooded the gypsies' camp. 26. The howling of wolves kept him awake all night. 27. They suggested making the tests easier. (Use should.) 28. Children couldn't have done all this damage.
Turn the following sentences into the active voice. Where no agent is mentioned one must be supplied.
School notice: This door must be kept shut. Students must keep this door shut.
1. Why don't you have your eyes tested? (... get an optician to ... ) 2. This speed limit is to be introduced gradually. 3. The runways are being lengthened at all the main airports. 4. It is now 6 a.m. and at most of the hospitals in the country patients are being wakened with cups of tea. 5. Byron is said to have lived on vinegar and potatoes. 6. By tradition, any sturgeon that are caught by British ships must be offered to the Queen. 7. This notice has been altered. 8. The owners went away last March and since then their houseboat has been used continuously by squatters. (Use a progressive tense and omit continuously.) 9. The damaged ship was being towed into harbour when the towline broke. 10. Have a lift put in and then you won't have to climb up all these stairs. 11. Last year a profit of two million pounds was made in the first six months but this was cancelled by a loss of seventeen million pounds which was made in the second six months. 12. Evening dress will be worn. 13. The ship was put into quarantine and passengers and crew were forbidden to land. 14. Someone will have to be found to take her place. 15. He was made to surrender his passport. 16. This rumour must have been started by our opponents. 17. My paintings are to be exhibited for the first time by New Arts Gallery. 18. This scientific theory has now been proved to be false. 19. The car which was blown over the cliff yesterday is to be salvaged today. 20. The house where the dead man was found is being guarded by the police to prevent it from being entered and the evidence interfered with. 21. Why wasn't the car either locked or put into the garage? 22. It is being said that too little money is being spent by the government on roads. 23. Your money could be put to good use instead of being left idle in the bank. 24. For a long time the earth was believed to be flat. 25. This copy hasn't been read. The pages haven't been cut. 26. The stones were thrown by a student, who was afterwards led away by the police. 27. Carrier pigeons are said to have been used by early Egyptian and Greek sailors. 28. The referee was being escorted from the football field by a strong police guard.
Translate into English.
1. Эта рукопись была найдена много лет тому назад. 2. Город продолжает строиться. 3. За докладом последовало обсуждение. 4. Он получил повышение. 5. Она была уволена по сокращению штатов. 6 Ей до смерти надоело сидеть дома. 7. Пьеса основана на исторических фактах. 8. Третья серия еще снимается. 9. Его речь будет записана для передачи по радио. 10. О вашем чемодане позаботятся. 11. Входит ли сюда плата за обслуживание? 12. Нас разъединили. 13. Меня застал дождь. 14. В соседней комнате раздавался неудержимый хохот. 15. Нам было сказано ждать. 16. На статью часто ссылаются. 17. Ей предложили чашечку чая. 18 Ему показали дорогу на вокзал. 19. Она жаловалась, что к ней придираются. 20. Он всегда был объектом для шуток. 21. Ему была присуждена высокая награда. 22. Мне дали два дня на размышление. 23. Когда за ним пошлют? 24. Вам разрешили взять эти журналы домой? 25. От дурных привычек избавляются.
Translate into English.
1 Каждый год строят новые больницы. 2. Его не видели в течение недели. 3. Полиция сообщила, что убийца арестован. 4. Когда я вернулся в этот город, здание больницы еще строилось. 5 Меня пригласили на вечеринку. 6. Нас попросили придти как можно раньше. 7. Нам посоветовали быть осторожнее. 8. Мне заплатили наличными. 9 Нам велели подождать. 10. За ним следовало два полицейских. 11. Товар не был доставлен вовремя. 12. Переговоры не будут закончены на следующей неделе. 13 Ваша статья будет опубликована в завтрашнем номере? 14. Деревня находится в горах 15. Это письмо должно быть написано сегодня. 16. Счет следует оплатить до конца месяца. 17. Это письмо следовало бы отправить авиапочтой. 18. По-английски говорят во всем мире. 19. Мэра поддержало большинство избирателей. 20. Вас предупредили. 21. Она знала, что сестра придет поздно, ее пригласили на день рождения. 22. Туристы хотели знать, кем был построен этот дворец. 23 Когда мы вошли в дом, его предложения все еще обсуждались. 24. Разве ты не понимаешь правило, которое нам только что объяснили 25 Она хотела знать, ждут ли ее еще. 26. Девушка спросила, говорю ли я по-французски, так как хотела знать, где продают билеты.